Silver Diamine® Fluoride
Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) is a safe and effective children’s topical treatment for tooth decay, cavities and hypersensitivity. SDF has been used for carries management in other countries for more than 80 years, and has just recently been approved by Health Canada.
What is Silver Diamine Fluoride?
Silver Diamine Fluoride is colourless solution with a pH level of 10, composed of silver, fluoride and ammonia used to control active dental carries and prevent any further decay. Though removal of the decay and restoring is ideal, this alternative treatment allows us to stop decay with non-invasive methods, especially when dealing with children and baby teeth. Treatment however, will not eliminate the need for any pre-existing restorative dentistry including fillings, root canal therapy and crowns.
It is most commonly recommended for children with excessive decay and treatment anxiety, as well as special needs patients.
Some of the many benefits of Silver Diamine Fluoride include:
- Cavity prevention
- Eases tooth sensitivity
Are there any risks?
Healthy teeth will not stain, however, any decayed areas will stain black. These stains can be replaced with a filling or crown. Also, if applied to skin or gums, a harmless temporary brown or white stain may appear. Don’t worry, as this will disappear after one to three weeks.
For more information or to see if your child would benefit from Silver Diamine Fluoride, contact us today.
- To guide our patients along a path of optimal health and wellness for life.
- To treat our patients as individuals.
- To respect our patients’ time.
- To accept our patients as partners in their wellness.
- To assume a leadership role as a resource – a window of information with concern for our patients’ overall well-being.
- To consistently deliver more than would reasonably be expected.